Are your pillows in need of a good cleaning? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered.
In this article, we’ll show you how to wash your pillows properly, depending on the type you have. Whether you own a Tempur-Pedic, memory foam or latex, down or feather, or polyester or fibrefill pillow, we’ll provide you with step-by-step instructions to ensure a thorough and effective cleaning.
Say goodbye to dirt and allergens, and hello to fresh and comfy pillows that will make you feel right at home.
Let’s get started!
- Tempur pillows cannot be washed, sponged, or dry cleaned
- Memory foam and latex pillows cannot be washed in a machine
- Most down and feather pillows can be safely cleaned in a washing machine
- Polyester and fibrefill pillows can be washed using warm water and a gentle cycle
Cleaning Tempur-Pedic Pillows
To properly clean your Tempur-Pedic pillow, make sure to follow the specific care instructions provided and avoid washing the Tempur-Pedic material itself, as it can damage the structure.
While Tempur-Pedic pillows cannot be washed or dry cleaned, you can remove the cover for airing or washing if necessary.
It is not safe to use cleaning fluid on Tempur-Pedic pillows or soak them with water, as this can compromise their integrity.
To maintain the cleanliness of your Tempur-Pedic pillow, spot clean small areas using a mild soap and water solution, being careful not to saturate the material. Gently blot the area and allow it to air dry completely before using the pillow again.
Cleaning Memory Foam or Latex Pillows
Gently vacuum or tumble your memory foam or latex pillows on a no-heat setting in the dryer to remove dust.
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to spot clean memory foam or latex pillows and effectively remove dust:
- Spot clean small areas: Use a mild soap and water solution to gently clean any stains or spills on your pillow. Avoid using excessive moisture, as it may damage the foam or latex.
- Be careful not to damage the foam: When spot cleaning, make sure to use a soft cloth or sponge and gently blot the area. Avoid scrubbing or rubbing vigorously, as this can cause the foam or latex to lose its shape.
- Avoid machine washing: Memory foam and latex pillows should not be washed in a machine. Follow the specific care instructions provided by the manufacturer to ensure proper cleaning and maintenance.
Washing Down or Feather Pillows
Hang your down or feather pillows on a washing line in mild or sunny weather for best drying results.
But what if you don’t have a washing machine? Don’t worry, there are other ways to clean your down or feather pillows.
First, check the care instructions provided with your pillows to make sure they can be safely washed. If they can, fill a bathtub with warm water and a small amount of mild detergent. Gently agitate the pillows in the water, paying special attention to any stained areas. Rinse them thoroughly and squeeze out the excess water.
Hang the pillows on a washing line or lay them flat on a clean surface to dry. If there are any stains left after washing, try using a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and dish soap. Apply the mixture to the stain, let it sit for a few minutes, and then blot it with a clean cloth.
Remember to properly dry the pillows to prevent mildew growth.
Washing Polyester or Fibrefill Pillows
When cleaning your polyester or fibrefill pillows, remember to balance the machine by washing three or more pillows together. This ensures that the machine doesn’t become unbalanced and the pillows are evenly cleaned.
Here are some dos and don’ts for washing polyester or fibrefill pillows:
- DO use warm water and a gentle cycle when washing your pillows.
- DO wash three or more pillows together to balance the machine.
- DO use a mild detergent in small quantities to avoid excessive foaming.
- DON’T compress the pillows too much during washing, as this can affect their shape.
- DON’T use bleach or harsh chemicals, as they can damage the fibers of the pillows.
- DON’T overload the machine with too many pillows, as this can hinder proper cleaning.
For best results, use a detergent specifically designed for washing polyester or fibrefill pillows. These detergents are gentle on the fibers and help maintain the pillow’s shape and softness.
To ensure your pillows are completely dry before using them again, make sure to thoroughly dry them in the dryer on a low to medium heat setting.
Using a dryer is a convenient and effective method for drying pillows, especially when time or weather conditions are not ideal for air drying. By using a dryer, you can control the temperature and duration of the drying process, ensuring that your pillows are thoroughly dried and free from any moisture that could lead to mildew growth.
To further enhance the drying process, consider using dryer balls. These small, spiky balls help to prevent clumps from forming in the pillows, resulting in a more even and efficient drying experience. Additionally, dryer balls can also help to fluff and soften the pillows, making them more comfortable and inviting for your next use.
Tips for Properly Washing Pillows
If you have memory foam or latex pillows, be sure to follow the specific care instructions provided to ensure they are cleaned correctly. These types of pillows require special attention due to their unique materials.
Here are some tips for properly washing pillows:
- How often should pillows be washed:
- It is recommended to wash pillows every 6 months to a year, depending on usage and personal preference.
- Regular washing helps remove dirt, sweat, and allergens, ensuring a clean and fresh sleep surface.
- Pillow washing hacks:
- Before washing, check the care label for any specific instructions or limitations.
- Use a mild detergent to avoid damaging the pillow’s materials.
- If possible, wash two or more pillows together to balance the machine.
- To maintain the shape of polyester or fibrefill pillows, avoid excessive compression during washing.
- Hang pillows on a washing line for natural drying or use a dryer on low to medium heat, adding dryer balls to prevent clumps.
Following these tips will help you keep your pillows clean, fresh, and in good condition for a cozy and comfortable night’s sleep.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Put My Tempur-Pedic Pillow in the Washing Machine?
No, you can’t put your Tempur pillow in the washing machine. It’s important to follow the specific care instructions provided. Soaking the Tempur-Pedic material with water or cleaning fluid can damage its structure.
How Often Should I Clean My Memory Foam or Latex Pillow?
To extend the lifespan of your memory foam or latex pillow, it’s important to clean it regularly. By following the care instructions provided and using pillow protectors, you can maintain its quality and prevent damage.
Can I Use Bleach to Wash My Down or Feather Pillows?
Yes, you can use bleach on down or feather pillows, but it is important to follow the care instructions provided. As for washing in hot water, it is not recommended as it may damage the pillows.
Is It Safe to Put Polyester or Fibrefill Pillows in the Dryer?
Yes, it is safe to put polyester or fibrefill pillows in the dryer. However, there are alternatives to using the dryer for pillow drying, such as hanging them on a washing line or using a dryer on low to medium heat.
Can I Use Fabric Softener When Washing My Pillows?
Using fabric softener on pillows may not be recommended as it can leave residue and reduce their fluffiness. Instead, consider using alternatives like vinegar or baking soda for washing pillows to maintain their cleanliness and freshness.
In conclusion, properly washing pillows is essential for maintaining their cleanliness and prolonging their lifespan. Whether you have Tempur-Pedic pillows, memory foam or latex pillows, down or feather pillows, or polyester or fibrefill pillows, there are specific care instructions to follow.
By understanding the cleaning methods for each type of pillow and avoiding common mistakes, you can ensure that your pillows stay fresh and hygienic. Regular washing and thorough drying are key to preventing mildew growth and maintaining pillow freshness.
So, make sure to give your pillows the care they deserve and enjoy a clean and comfortable sleep experience.